When iOS 16.0 was still in early beta testing, Apple teased us with a slew of new Books actions in the Shortcuts app, but none of them materialized in iOS 16.0 or 16.1. That changes with Apple’s latest software update for iPhone.
The only Apple Books action in Shortcuts you’ll see on iOS 16.1 and earlier, except for any personal Siri Suggestions that are based on how you use your device, is:
The teased actions in early 16.0 betas that Apple eventually disappeared include:
On iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 (currently in beta), you’ll see many of those teased actions (with different names), but Resize Text is missing. There’s also a completely new one we haven’t seen before for Change Page Navigation. Here’s everything available for Books actions on iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2:
- Add PDF to Books: Opens the input as a PDF in Books. This action can not be run on Apple Watch.
- Change Book Appearance: Changes the reading appearance and theme.
- Change Page Navigation: Changes page navigation style between page turning and continuous scrolling.
- Change View: Opens a specific tab or sidebar view.
- Open Book or Audiobook: Opens a specific book or audiobook.
- Open Collection: Opens a specific standard collection.
- Play Audiobook: Plays a specific audiobook.
- Search in Books: Search for books and audiobooks in the library and store by author and title.
- Turn Page: Moves to the next or previous page.
Note that these actions are not backward compatible. If you try using a Books shortcut with anything except the Add PDF to Books action on iOS 16.1 and earlier, the actions will show up as Unknown Actions.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: